Tests, Quizzes, Homework, etc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Find help here on homework and tests.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jon's wonderful review sheet

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sean
Team
Team
sean

Jon's wonderful review sheet Empty
PostSubject: Jon's wonderful review sheet   Jon's wonderful review sheet I_icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 10:05 pm

just incase yall didnt get the email

Chemistry Final Terms

1. Photon: A packet of energy with zero mass. Responsible for all electromagnetic phenomena
2. Orbital: A region that describes the wave-like behavior of an atom
3. Ground State: The lowest possible energy state something can be in
4. Photoelectric Effect: When a metallic surface is exposed to electromagnetic radiation above a certain frequency, the light is absorbed and electrons are released
5. Frequency: Cycles or periods per unit time (measured in Hz)
6. Quantum Numbers: Principal Quantum Number, Angular Momentum Quantum Number, Magnetic Quantum Number, Spin Quantum Number
7. Wavelength: Distance between repeating units of a wave (trough to trough, etc.)
8. Group: A vertical column on the periodic table
9. Period: A horizontal row on the periodic table
10. Sublimation: When an solid changes directly into a gas
11. Mendeleev: He created the periodic table
12. Anion- A negative ion
13. Cation- A positive ion
14. Atomic Radius: Half the distance between two bonded Nuclei of the same atom
15. Valence Electron: An electron in the outer shell of an atom
16. Ionization Energy: The energy required to remove 1 electron from a neutral atom
17. Electronegativity: An element’s ability to attract electrons in a covalent bond
18. Electron Affinity: The energy change when a neutral atom acquires an electron
19. Bond Energy: The amount of energy required to break a chemical bond and form a neutral isolated ion
20. Lattice Energy: The energy released when one mole of an ionic crystalline compound is formed from gaseous ions
21. Lone Pair: A pair of electrons not involved in bonding that belongs exclusively to one atom
22. Polar/ Nonpolar Covalent bond: A covalent bond is a bond in which two atoms with an EN difference of less than 1 share electrons. If the difference in EN is 0, the electrons are shared equally.
23. Molecule: A neutral group of atoms held together by covalent bonds.
24. Ionic Compound: A compound composed of negative and positive ions that are combined so that the numbers of positive and negative charges are equal
25. Octet Rule: Chemical compounds tend to form so that each atom in the compound, by gaining, losing, or sharing electrons, has an octet of electrons in its highest occupied energy level.
26. Effusion: The process where individual molecules flow through a hole without collisions between molecules
27. Diffusion: The mixing of two substances because of constant, random motion
28. Reversible Reaction: Products can reform into the reactants and then from into products again… denoted as two arrows in opposite reactions
29. Activity Series: A table that tells whether or not stuff will react
30. Absolute Zero: 0 degrees Kelvin. The point at which all molecular motion ceases
31. Capillary Action: The attractive force between a liquid and a solid
32. Surface Tension: The attractive force in liquids that cause them to minimize surface area, drawing it into a sphere
33. Amorphous: A solid that does not have a geometric structure to it
34. Solute: The dissolved thing in a solution
35. Solvent: The dissolver in a liquid
36. Alkaline: A solution is alkaline if the pH is greater than 7
37. Amphoteric: Something that can be both an acid and a base
38. Monoprotic: An acid that gives off one proton is monoprotic
39. Polyprotic: An acid that gives off more than one proton is polyprotic
40. Isomer: Isomers are compounds that share chemical formulas but not structures
41. Equilibrium: A dynamic condition where two opposing changes occur at equal rates in a closed system
42. Hydrocarbons: Stuff containing hydrogen and carbon
43. Osmotic Pressure: The amount of pressure that the solvent uses to push across a semi-permeable membrane (when you have two of the same solutions with different concentrations separated by a semi-permeable membrane
44. Alkane: Hydrocarbons with only single bonds
45. Alkene: Hydrocarbons with at least one double bond
46. Alkyne: Hydrocarbons with at least one triple bond

NOTE: On 1-4 I could not find my notes for these… I’m not completely sure if these are correct

Other stuff because it’s not on the review sheet

Alcohol: Something that has a hydroxyl group attached to one or more of its carbons
H H
| |
H-C-C-O-H is ethyl alcohol
| |
H H

Ethers : An oxygen bridge between two organic compounds
| | | | |
-C-C-O-C-C-C-
| | | | |

Amino Group: A functional group having the structure NH2 (or one or both hydrogen replaced with an R group)

H H H H
| | | /
H-C-C-C-N
| | | \
H H H H
Amine: A nitrogen atom bound to three atoms through three single bonds is called an amine The simplest amine is nitrogen, two hydrogens, and a single R group. However, even when nitrogen is bound to two or more R groups it is still considered an amine

Aldehydes and Ketones: Contain carbonyl groups (double bond of oxygen to carbon). In aldehydes, it’s attached to the end, in ketones it’s in the middle.

Aldehyde
H H H
| | |
H-C-C-C=O
| | |
H H H

Ketone
H O H
| || |
H-C-C-C-H
| |
H H

Carboxylic Acids: Carboxylic acids contain the carbolic functional group (carbon is double bonded to O and a hydroxyl group)
H O
| ||
H-C-C-O-H
|
H

Esters: The H from the hydroxyl group is replaced by another R group
H O H
| || |
H-C-C-O-C-H
| |
H H
Back to top Go down
http://www.xbox.com
Horace Greeley
VIP
VIP
Horace Greeley

PostSubject: Re: Jon's wonderful review sheet   Jon's wonderful review sheet I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 2:25 pm

thank you sean, you so nice, you make good husband for daughter ying yang
Back to top Go down
tomaso
VIP
VIP
tomaso

PostSubject: Re: Jon's wonderful review sheet   Jon's wonderful review sheet I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 8:33 pm

poor mislead sean...
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jon's wonderful review sheet   Jon's wonderful review sheet I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 1:20 pm

haha
Back to top Go down
https://reviewsheetsgalore.forummotion.com
Horace Greeley
VIP
VIP
Horace Greeley

PostSubject: Re: Jon's wonderful review sheet   Jon's wonderful review sheet I_icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 9:11 pm

dont make comments like haha their so worthless plus no one i know needs the confidence boost of haha or hehe i mean honestly the only person i knowb that could use that confidence boost is (sniff sniff)
me (starts crying tremenduosly) Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jon's wonderful review sheet   Jon's wonderful review sheet I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jon's wonderful review sheet
Page 1 of 1